Skipping RBC Heritage Will Cost $3 Million To Rory McIlroy&nbsp

Home » News » Golf » Skipping RBC Heritage Will Cost $3 Million To Rory McIlroy&nbsp

Rory McIlroy’s decision to withdraw from the RBC Heritage could cost him dearly. He will forfeit $3 million from his Player Impact Performance (PIP) earnings if he executes his decision to skip this week’s RBC Heritage.

Who Is Rory McIlroy?

He is a 33-years old Northern Irish professional golfer and a member of both European and PGA tours. A four-time major champion winning the 2011 U.S. Open, 2012 PGA Championship, 2014 Open Championship, and 2014 PGA Championship, he won all four majors by the age of 25.

Why Is Rory McIlroy Skipping RBC Heritage?

There is no reason given for this decision. He announced his decision to skip RBC Heritage on the heels of missing a cut at the Masters at Hilton Head Island in South Carolina.

What Is Player Impact Performance (PIP)?

PIP was started two years ago to reward players based on various metrics of their popularity. PIP rewarded Rory McIlroy with $12 million after he finished second to Tiger Woods. According to PIP, 75% of the reward amount is given after the first week of the year, and the remaining 25% only when the players fulfill obligations. The players have to perform in all the designated events on the schedule to become eligible for the full PIP benefits.

Following the tradition, PIP rewarded Rory McIlroy with a total reward of $12 million out of which 75% amount or $9 million was given in his first year. But he won’t get the remaining 25% or $3 million amount because he decides to skip the RBC Heritage. The PGA Tour confirmed that he would forfeit this amount for breach of rules.

How Many Events Could A Player Skip In A Tournament?

Players are allowed to opt out of only one event in a tournament and claim their PIP reward. Since Rory McIlroy has already skipped one event, he will forfeit the remaining reward money on skipping RBC Heritage.

It is to be noted that Rory McIlroy has already missed the Sentry Tournament of Champions at Kapalua. His decision to skip RBC Heritage will be second in a tournament and it is a breach of contract with the PGA Tour.

According to PGA Tour, the PIP had already been cut in half to $50 million which frees players from the requirement of playing designated tournaments in 2024 to receive the benefits.

To miss a second event, players have to give an excuse like an injury to retain their reward. But Rory McIlroy gave no such excuse and announced skipping the RBC Heritage event.

What Did Rory McIlroy Say About His Decision?

Rory McIlroy didn’t say anything about his decision to quit RBC Heritage or on forfeiting the remaining amount of his reward. But his secretary Sean Flaherty informed the media about his decision.

Sean Flaherty denied that Rory McIlroy made any comment regarding Hilton Head in a text message. He further affirmed that Rory McIlroy would next play the Wells Fargo Championship at Quail Hollow next month.

Read More

One Reply to “Skipping RBC Heritage Will Cost $3 Million To Rory McIlroy&nbsp”